3 Easter Outreach Ideas - The Good & The Bad
When it comes to outreach ideas, there are plenty to choose from. We've always believed it's important that any outreach effort should help your church stand out from the crowd. Every church in your city will be doing some kind of outreach so it will take some creativity to stand out. You want as many folks as possible checking out your church on Easter and visiting your website/social media. Here are 3 Good and 3 Bad ideas for reaching new people in your community.
First, the bad. It's not that these ideas are "bad." It's just that there may be some more effective methods when it comes to reaching people in your area. So, for every challenging idea, we'll present an alternative idea that will give you some fresh perspective on outreach.
1. Bulk Mailers - There was a time when you could send out a mailer to the entire community and expect 10% of the recipients to show up on a Sunday. Now, it's less that .5% effective and the cost to mail everyone in your community is outrageous! Printing and mailing is around $.25 per piece. Wanna send that to 50,000 people? It will cost around $12,500 and you can expect to get 100-200 people to visit your website from that cost and maybe 50-100 people to visit your church...maybe.
2. Easter Egg Hunts - Not knocking the original church outreach idea here, but it feels tired. If there are 48 Easter egg hunts in your town, you're going to get lost in the crowd. Maybe it's time to retire this tradition and come up with a new spin on this old faithful outreach program. (Stay tuned, we have suggestions).
3. Advertising on Christian Radio - It feels like this should be widely known, but the majority of people who are listening to Christian Radio are already connected to a church. Don't advertise your Easter services on Christian radio! The goal of an outreach program should be to connect to the un-churched, de-churched and church-hatin' crowd. Our goal with outreach should always be to connect with new people instead of swapping sheep from flock to flock! If you're going to advertise, do it somewhere that will help you reach the most people not connected to your church...or any church for that matter.
We could go on here: poorly produced passion plays (bonus for alliteration!), anything involving Peeps marshmallow treats, pancake breakfasts, anything with the word fellowship, and free live easter bunnies for the kids. You get the idea. If you do the same old thing, you're going to get the same old results. To reach people you've never reached before, you're going to have to do things you've never done! Step out of your comfort zone! Try something different.
Now, the good. Simple tweaks to these old-fashioned outreach ideas can go a long way! Here are some twists you can try to help your church stand out in the crowd.
1. Social Media Marketing - If you spent $12,500 (the same amount of money for a mailer to 50,000 people) on social media marketing you'd be able to have 1.6 million interactions with people on social media! Plus, you can create multiple graphics, videos or interactions with people in your community. The effectiveness rate is somewhere around 4%-5% for social media marketing and best of all, it gets the people in your church engaged in helping spread the word!
2. Glow-In-The-Dark Easter Egg Hunt - We told you we'd have ideas! Not a major difference, but this is enough of a tweak to help your Easter egg hunt stand out. For the same amount of money you can get all kinds of glow-in-the-dark necklaces, glasses, rings, and flashy fun stuff. Do something like this and people will be talking about it for days and the social media pictures will be amazing! Here are Google search results for Glow-in-the-dark Easter eggs.
3. Invite Your Church To Invite - Sounds simple, but it's critical that you have your people inviting their friends! Quality invite cards are so importantI Teaching your people to invite their friends is so important! The very best people to try to attract are friends and family of the people you already have coming to your church.
These 3 things working together will create a ton of synergy and buzz around your church. People will see your church on social media, they'll be blown away by the glow-in-the-dark Easter egg hunt and the personal invite will seal the deal. When you get these 3 things working together, it's an amazing force of momentum. Leverage creativity and innovation to build an outreach program that will help catapult you into the future and reach more people than ever with the Gospel!
Need help with graphics? Check out www.Uproar.Design for help crafting creative graphics for your Easter outreach!